Tips for heatless hairstyles
Want to know how to curl hair without heat? Or maybe you just want some inspiration for no heat hairstyles? Whatever you’re looking for, we’ve got some great ideas for heatless hairstyles so you can create gorgeous looks without damaging your hair!
Benefits of no-heat hairstyles
Styling your hair with heat may seem like the easy option, but it can be damaging to your hair. Styling your hair with heat can:
Dry out your scalp
A dry scalp can not only cause itching, flaking, and irritation, but can also make the hair look dull. This is because your hair is moisturized by the natural oil your scalp produces.
Permanently damage your hair
Using heat on wet hair can cause what is known as ‘bubble hair’. Heat boils the water molecules inside your hair which permanently damages your hair, making it weak and much more likely to break in the future.
For damaged hair, check out our Coconut Oil & Ylang Ylang range, specifically designed to provide visible damage repair for soft, smooth, and healthy hair!
How to style hair without heat
If you’re looking to give your locks a much-needed break from the heat, or just looking for a way to switch-up your hairstyle, then we’ve got some great heatless hairstyles to inspire you.
Wondering how to curl hair without heat? Pin curls are a great way to get that extra bounce while avoiding hot rollers and curling irons. To achieve these heatless curls, all you’ll need is a pack of bobby pins.
- Start with damp hair – this will allow the curls to set properly.
- Apply a leave-in conditioner to ensure that your hair is moisturized and to give you defined curls. We recommend our Argan Oil & Lavender Leave-In Smoothie Cream, specifically designed to help reduce frizz and leave hair silky-smooth.
- Next, separate your hair into two or four sections (or eight for super defined curls). Wrap half-inch sections around your finger and pin in place with two bobby pins in a crisscross shape.
- Repeat this process until all of your hair is like this.
- Allow hair to set overnight or for up to two days for super defined and tight curls (it’ll be worth the wait, we promise!).
- Then, simply remove the bobby pins for perfect heatless curls!
If pin curls are a bit time-consuming (or, like us, you’re always losing your bobby pins), you can wrap damp, moisturized hair around an elastic headband and leave in overnight.
Beach wave braids
Getting the beach look without *actually* going to the beach is easier than you might think. Simply follow this guide on how to get beach waves without heat:
- Start with damp, hydrated hair.
- Apply some Love Beauty and Planet Argan Oil & Lavender Leave-In Smoothie Cream for moisture.
- Part your hair in the center and make two French braids. Allow hair to dry naturally – for best results, leave braids in overnight.
- When hair is dry, take out your braids and enjoy that beach hair look.
Top tip! If braids are a bit too tricky (or you just want to save your arms the struggle of braiding your hair!), a similar look can be achieved by separating your hair into two sections (along your parting), twisting both sections into a crown on the top of your head and leaving in overnight. For more tips on braids, check out our article on easy braided hairstyles!
It can be a little bit trickier to dry hair naturally straight without using heat but the method we love the most is roller setting. This may not get hair *quite* as straight as you would do with a straightener or a hot blow dry, but your hair will thank you for the break from the heat!
- Wash your hair with a hydrating conditioner, such as our Shea Butter & Sandalwood Conditioner. Make sure your hair doesn’t have any heavy product in it as this will stop your hair from straightening as successfully.
- Next, section out your hair and apply a setting product to each section before rolling – doing this before styling is much more effective! Why not try our Coconut Milk & White Jasmine Hair Spray?
- When rolling a section of hair, make sure you pull it tight, so it goes onto the roller as straight as possible. Keep an even tension when rolling as this ensures straighter results.
- Once you have rolled all sections of hair, dry your hair naturally.
- When your hair is dry, remove the rollers.
- For additional strengthening, you can then dry wrap your hair by separating it into sections and using a fine-toothed comb to brush it out flat.
- Holding the hair taut, bring your hair around to the opposite side of your head to where it naturally falls and pin tightly to the side of your head.
- Repeat until all sections are done and then wrap with a silk scarf (this helps to reduce frizz). For best results, wear hair like this overnight and then unwrap in the morning.
Top Tip! Use bigger rollers for straighter results.