Tips on recycling skin and hair care packaging
An inescapable reality is that many beauty products are packaged in plastic, although some are packaged in aluminum or glass jars, or cardboard wrapping. All of this packaging has to go somewhere, and if it’s not recycled, it tends to go to a landfill. Therefore, it’s so important that once you’ve emptied all your products, you don’t just throw them in the trash – make sure you separate them and recycle all packaging the right way. Not sure how to do this? We’ve got you covered. Read on to find our recycling tips and answers to all your pressing questions regarding recycling.
What can you recycle?
The following things can and should be recycled. This way you don’t contribute to further environmental pollution and keep our planet happy. One thing though: make sure all of your recycling is clean and dry before you throw it away.
- Paper, such as newspaper and letters, but also paper packaging
- Glass bottles and jars
- Plastic to some degree (check the label or your local recycling center information)
- Aluminum and steel cans
- Food waste shouldn’t necessarily be recycled but put in a compost bin
Things you can’t recycle
Putting things in the recycling bin, rather than the garbage, can feel great, but not everything can be recycled. Below is a list of things that can’t currently be recycled (check your local recycling center for more information as many places differ in what they do and don’t accept).
- Single-use plastic like bags, straws, and cutlery
- Snack bags
- Plastic film
- Wax coated paper cups and plates
- Aerosol cans
- Dirty cardboard such as pizza boxes
- Paper towels or tissues
If you’re unsure whether an item can be recycled or not, contact your city council or waste services. They’ll be able to give you even more recycling tips and clarify any specifics for your area. Sometimes you can also bring some of your recyclable waste to supermarkets and they can dispose of it accordingly.
How to recycle plastic packaging?
If you’re at the start of a more sustainable lifestyle – well done for coming this far! Maybe some of your previously loved beauty products packaged in plastic are now empty and you’re on the hunt for more eco-friendly alternatives. Follow these easy steps on how to recycle plastic packaging and what plastic you can recycle:
- Check the label of your beauty product to see if you can recycle it or not. If it’s recyclable, it will have a little recycling symbol.
- Contact your local recycling services to see what products are accepted and which aren’t
- If you can’t recycle your old products, maybe you can reuse them. Plastic spray bottles are great for misting your plants, and most travel-sized bottles can be refilled with new products.
- Look out for new products that are boxed in recycled plastic packaging. Try for example our Blue-green Algae & Eucalyptus Shampoo with a bottle made out of 100% ocean-bound plastic.
There you have it – our recycling tips for your sustainable lifestyle journey. Make sure to follow them and make yourself familiar with what plastics can be recycled. If you do so on a regular basis you can save money, protect the planet, and enjoy a cleaner environment in the long run.